Nail Çavuş

To lie down to die for our people, for our homeland is a sacred duty. Our comrade joined the struggle at the age of 16, working in various areas, seeing the torturers and experiencing prison. Consciously, with his will, he showed a clear preference for his place in this fight. For the cause of independence, democracy and socialism in achieving the aims of our struggle, may I sacrifice my life for our people and homeland. He was born in January 1964 in Belentarla village, Zara town, Sivas province. He was of Kurdish nationality, Zaza and Alevi. In the autumn of 1971 his family moved to Haskoy in Istanbul. He both studied and worked. From his surroundings and conditions of life, he was sympathetic to the revolutionaries.

In Haskoy high school, while in the middle grade, he was able to develop closer relations with the organisation. But the September 12 junta prevented these relations from developing. In this period, tens of millions of our people were affected by oppression. His older brother was imprisoned for revolutionary activity, and his paternal uncle and sister’s husband were tried for membership in the DISK trade union confederation. And in the same years, his sister-in-law was killed in Izmir. But September 12 hardened revolutionary resolve and increased anger against fascism. In 1983 he started at Marmara University higher school of journalism and publishing. He was one of those who took on leadership of organising youth and the struggle at a time when the effects of junta terror and depoliticisation were widespread among the young. He was one of the founders of the BYYO students’ association, and was one of its leaders. In the same years he formed relations with the revolutionary movement. In 1987, after graduating, he started work at the magazine Yeni Cozum (New Solution). Then he started to experience detention and imprisonment on a frequent basis.

On May 1, 1989, in May 1990 while working at the magazine Mucadele (Struggle) and in October 1991 while working at the Sivas office of Mucadele, he was detained and spent several months in prison. He was held in the Eskisehir isolation prison and resisted the cells for the first time. In March 1992, he was on duty in Antep, Adana and Osmaniye. Henceforth he was involved in the illegal aspects of the struggle. Working in this field he was promoted to Political Responsible Official for the Mediterranean region. In 1993 he was taken prisoner. After staying for a time in Adana Kurkculer and Malatya E Type prisons, he was shipped to Canakkale Prison in 1995. Then the cells came on the agenda. He volunteered for the Death Fast. He was one of our comrades who resisted the December 19 massacre. He was thrown into Tekirdag F Type prison and new resistance and a new war continued. He persisted in wearing the red headband. He joined the Fourth Death Fast team. When he heard of the Armutlu massacre, he set fire to himself as a reply to tyranny.

On July 31, 2000, he had said in a letter: The MGK (National Security Council) has put the prisons on its agenda 31 times. This is what is written. But even if they put it on the agenda 500 times it would be seen that we revolutionary captives can’t be defeated. Our bodies will light up Turkey, our country, and put pressure on them. For this, we have to pay a price. I volunteer to pay it. Setting himself on fire in his cell, after 16 years of struggle, he made himself into a torch in the hands of our comrades. We will carry this torch in our hands to victory.

, ,